Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Unread Book Review

My first book review, and I haven't even read the book. 

Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks. 

 Okay, you may be wondering why I would write a review about a book I haven't read. Well, I have a big issue with this book. It is a long story and I'll explain. 

My family is from Rodanthe. Growing up we would spend summers at my Grandmothers house in Rodanthe. My fathers parents were from there, their parents were from there, their parents were from there, etc... You get the picture.

If you aren't familiar with the area, let me explain the wonders of Rodanthe. It is on Hatteras Island on the coast of North Carolina. Years ago, the only way to get there was by boat. My Grandmother told us of her having to take a boat to get to school in Manteo. Eventually you could take a ferry to the island, and then there was the bridge.  Years after the bridge was built, the area continued to grow and prosper.

I remember sitting on the porch as a child at night and you could only see the light of the moon on the water. And it was quiet. No cars traveled the roads. The only neighbor was my aunt, a quarter mile down the road. Peaceful

But that was years ago.
Has anyone visited there? It is a tourist trap now. Busy, People everywhere. It just isn't the same Rodanthe I fell in love with.

So, what about this book review? I was talking with my cousin. She still lives in Rodanthe and has a nice souvenir shop. She was telling me about all the tourists that have come since the book was released. One woman that had terminal cancer came and sat in front of the house that was portrayed in the movie. She was planning on staying there until she died. She was there for several days before the police came and took her away.

My question is how can a writer touch people like this? I admit, I haven't read a Nicholas Sparks novel, but I have watched a movie. (No, not this one)

Can writing this good be taught? Or do you have to be born with the talent?

My goal as a writer is to touch my readers. Not just tell a story that lingers in my head. So, if you know the secret, feel free to leave a comment.

Keep the Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment