Monday, February 13, 2012

A Plan to Increase Word Count

I started to title this 'A plan to Increase Productivity'. For some reason, I don't look at word count as proof I did a lot. It is more of a feeling. Some days I don't really write, I spend time editing. Some days, I can rewrite a sentence in a few seconds, some day it takes me five minutes to find the right word. So, with these variations, what is a good way to gauge a good day of writing?

Today I came across a blog by Rachel Aaron. She has a system that helped her increase her word count from 2,000 to 10,000 words a day. Hey, if I can increase my productivity, I am all for it.

http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/how-i-went-from-writing-2000-words-day.html

To summarize briefly, she shows a diagram of a triangle. The three things she shows around the triangle, is Knowledge, Time, and Enthusiasm. Well, this just seems common sense to me. But, I have always had the motto, 'If so-and-so could do it, so can I'. Obviously, I can't say, If Neal Armstrong, walked on the moon, so can I. But the point is, I know what I can physically and mentally do. If someone did it, then it is possible I can do it. In this case, I know it is possible to increase my word count.

I just have to focus my energy and do it. So, this is a two part blog. This next week, I am going to take Rachel's advice and see if my word count increases.

So, another thing motivating me, is knowing I have to post my success or failure.

I see I got sidetracked, so back to explaining her technique.

Knowledge, is knowing ahead of time what you are going to write. I've heard many people talk about 'down time' being important for writers. We fantasize and work on our story while washing dishes, driving and working. I do this often. But there are still times when I turn on the computer and I sit at the screen. Rachel suggests taking a pad of paper and writing down brief summaries of the scene. When you write it out, you can see if the scene will work in your story. It actually saves time because, I have actually written large portions of a story, only to use the delete button and find myself lost again. What I like doing, is 'what if' scenarios. My critique partner actually helped me learn this. We ask ourselves, what if the hero does this? We spend a few minutes doing this over and over, and then we have an idea where the scene needs to go.

Time, is writing at the correct time for you, and making sure you are not disturbed and have no distractions. When I say correct time, I mean if you write more productively in the evening, try and have your writing time in the evening and not in the morning.

Enthusiasm. This may seem elementary, but Rachel brought up a good point with this one. I have noticed many scenes in my story I am not excited about. If I can't stay excited with it, should it be in my novel? If the scene isn't it's best, and most exciting, I need to rework it. This may mean deleting some scenes and playing with the plot, trying new 'what if' scenarios. If it makes a better novel, isn't it something I would rather do?
Enthusiasm comes naturally when scenes come together and work great. It is harnessing the Enthusiasm we originally felt when the idea of the book first took shape in our minds.

So, there it is, quick and simple. I'll let you know next week how I improved (or bombed)

Keep the Faith

1 comment:

  1. Hi Faith! Thanks for following my blog :) I think my favorite part about Rachel's post is, as you said, if she can do it then so can we. Although, I expect it could be like most things and practice makes perfect because we'll be trying to develop new habits at the same time. I can't wait to see how you go. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete