Sunday, February 26, 2012

Big picture and details

Good morning everyone,
I love Sundays. I've already had one day to relax and get the housework done. Then Sunday comes. That's the gravy day. It's the good stuff. It's what you soak into your biscuit and savor.

I love rainy days. The days you stay at home, listening to the rain on the tin roof. And today, I have both. That makes it extra special. So, I'm off to a good start. Now, to make the best of the time I have.

As you may have realized, my hobby is writing. I love to write and it doesn't matter what it is. It doesn't matter if it is my current WIP or something new. If I am sitting down, using words to create my own world, I am happy. I may not be the best writer, but I'm working on it. I want others to read my words and fall happily into the world I made and feel the emotions I had swirling in my being when I arranged the words in that order.

I'm sure many writers struggle with the same things. My current struggle is to have enthusiasm to continue my work. I have my world on paper. I have their actions, what they say, what they think. When I read it, as a reader and not as the writer, the emotions aren't there. Some are, but not all. I find I lack the dedication to keep trying. I get bored going over the sentences and paragraphs to find the right words and the right order to get the feelings across.

The enthusiasm is there one day, and gone the next. I think of the story in it's entirety and know it is a fascinating story. It is exciting, fun, and spectacular. My problem, I admit, is dealing with the small details. I have never been detail oriented. A successful writer has to control every detail, down to every comma and contraction. The big picture is made up of tiny details, and I have to control every one of them.

My goal for today is to concentrate on the details. The more I work with them, the easier I hope they will be in the future.

Keep the Faith

1 comment:

  1. You know what they say "writing is rewriting" :) I think that as your process evolves it will get easier. Happy editing!

    ReplyDelete