Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tricks of a Writer

Yesterday morning while getting ready for work I had the TV on. It was one of the news shows, either The Today Show, or Good Morning America. I have it on just to see the weather. Everything else is noise.

Finally, something pokes my consciousness and I realize they are talking to a writer. I can't say the title of the book. It is non-fiction, about history, or something equally boring to me. They ask him about research. Good question. I listen up. It could help me. Last year I had to research Greece for my characters to go on vacation. He admitted his wife did all the research. I quickly tune him out. She did all the hard work and he gets all the credit. At least she'll get half of the royalties.

He talked about doing all the work on a yellow legal pad with a pen. He doesn't use a computer. I nod my head. My rough drafts are often written long hand. It helps me think. I wonder who did all the hard work of typing and editing if he doesn't do a computer.

Then he starts talking how hard it is to work at home. Because home is where you relax and put your feet up. Oh, yeah. I admit. If I'm home, I am wearing pajamas.

I tried going to Starbucks and Books a Million to work. I can't do it. If I'm out, I like to people watch. I can't get any work done outside of the house either. If I had more money, I would go to a motel to work. ** I just got a lightbulb going off on the top of my head. I have a spare room in the top of the barn. I might try that. Anyway, back to the blog.

The writer I was starting to think did very little real writing, had a solution!!  He said he gets up every morning, puts on a suit and tie, like he's going to work, and writes. He fools his mind. He has his routine to prepare to work, including dressing for work.

How awesome is that? What other tricks are out there??

Keep the Faith


No comments:

Post a Comment