Thursday, May 17, 2012

Waiting

Last month I entered Harlequin's Fast Track. It wasn't something I put a lot of thought in. I read about the opportunity months ago and decided to pass on it. Then a good friend mentioned it a few days before it closed. She decided to do it.

Harlequin Fast Track was opening submissions for a set time and guaranteed a response by May 18th. I thought about my writing goals. I set a goal that I would submit 4 things this year, either to a publisher or entering contests. It is May, and I have done only 1 to date. So, I looked over my WIPs and decided I had one that may fit into the categories they were looking for. But the catch was, it was the story I planned on completely revising.

So, with several days remaining, I got to work. I started by rewriting the first chapter and then I wrote a synopsis of the story. If you aren't familiar with a synopsis, it highlights the main points of the story. Yes, I wrote on on a synopsis on a story that is only written up to chapter 1.

I submitted it. What did I hope to get from it. Really, just a check on my goal list telling me I can write well enough to show it to others. I am also hoping for a little feedback. But if I think realistically, they are probably reading through this giant stack with a deadline, so I don't see getting a lot of feedback. But how long does it take for them to read over half of my chapter and send me a sweet form letter saying, Thank you for your submission, but no thank you. 

So why am I dwelling on this? I have no idea. I submitted and really forgot about it. Suddenly, I notice tomorrow is the day they guarantee an answer. So, I am constantly checking email. Crazy behavior when I should be busy writing and working on a story--any story.

Are you a patient waiter, or do you go crazy, like I seem to be doing at the moment?

Keep the Faith

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely an impatient waiter! I refresh my email, refresh, refresh oh and reeeefresh again! Waiting is horrible. Don't worry (I know thats easier said than done) but i'm sure you will hear later today or tomorrow. Afterall the guarantee by date is tomorrow right?
    Either way, yay or nay, keep going with your writing Faith :-) Theres tons more publishers out there and definitely one will be dying to have your work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the patience of a toddler. A hungry, angry toddler who missed her nap.

    But, until yesterday, I had my impatience stuffed into the 'keeping occupied with other stuff' bottle. Yesterday, I started haunting my inbox too. I'm right there with you. On two fronts, actually. I was okay with waiting on my requested Medical full until one of the editors mailed me (2 months ago) to say that they'd be with me *shortly* about it(up to 43 weeks this week!). And since I heard 'shortly' I've had a hard time not obsessing over my inbox.

    Waiting is easier when you don't have an end date in sight. Much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand the frustration there. Even though this was my first rejection, it was my second submission. The first one was a short story. The editor emailed me that day and said she was really looking forward to reading it and said she was editing an anthology and mine would be next.

    I had no idea what an anthology was and looked it up.(like a novella) I have yet to hear from her. I emailed her after a month and a week later got a response that she is under a deadline now and can't look at it until May.

    I am not holding my breath for a response.

    ReplyDelete