Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Write or Die

Earlier today I read a comment from Amalie (yes, my blogging friend, I called you out). She commented that she used writeordie.com . So, naturally I had to check it out. If it has to do with writing, I got to check it out. It is a website for writers that adds that proverbial kick in the butt.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, we've all read the way to get a draft done is KOBBIC. That is Keys on board, butt in chair. The concept being, once it is written, it doesn't matter if it is good or not, it is fixable. You can't fix something that isn't written yet.

I haven't gotten to the point that I can just sit and write constant. I don't want to write for an hour and not keep what is written. That is a waste of time. On the other hand, if I sit for an hour and write maybe 100 words, I will keep, maybe, 70 of those words. Because I take me time, I think about the scene and I nit pick every word to make sure it is the right one. But if I sit and write and write and ramble on, I can get maybe 1000 words in an hour. How many would I keep? What if it is 500? 400? 300?

Even if I throw out 90%, that is still more than if I pick my way through. So, this is something I should try, right?

I ran the idea by my CP. She said the same thing I was thinking. No, way am I gonna do that. The super duper kamikaze will delete my words. I'm not going that route. I agreed whole heartedly. This stuff is not for me.

So, I jumped right back over to the website and paid that $10. I pulled it up and guess what. (uh, no I won't put it on kamikaze) but I put it on normal. I like it. I stopped to think and guess what? The screen turned red. I think oh no. So, I start rambling on. I like it. It won't be writing to keep. But it will help me see the scene, get quick character reactions and just scene ideas. I can come back later and delete my 90%.

Have fun writing.
Faith

4 comments:

  1. Heeee :D

    I didn't expect to like anything I wrote. I just expected to vomit words onto the screen. The point for me at that point was to write in order to *feel better*, because I hadn't been writing and very down on myself about the quality of what I manage to eek out.

    At the end, I didn't reread it. I was just happy to have written. So, I saved it and put it away for quite a few hours...

    But when I came back to read it for the first time, I was amazed at how much it didn't suck! Sure, there was some passive voice to fix, errors, typos, stuff that changed as I typed, but it wasn't bad. It certainly wasn't worse than my slow, thoughtful drafts.

    You might be surprised by what you churn out. And really, Kamikaze isn't for the faint of heart. It's a kind of LAST STRAW sort of writing :) Because: No one hates herself like a writer who isn't writing. (my new motto) :D

    Glad you got something of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amalie you are a brave chick! I dont think I could use kamikaze (at the moment) who knows in the future. I guess it's good for a kick up the bum and making you write, write, write!
    Faith, even if you only keep 10 words, its 10 more than 0! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried Write or Die, still I'm one of those writers who gets their first draft done 'quick and dirty'. Yup, its exactly like it sounds. During Nano last year, I wrote 55k using the 'quick and dirty' method.

    I'm a paralegal, so part of my job is to revise and edit. The editing of the ms I wrote for Nano took about two weeks. I then whipped it off to my CPs and spent a month after proof reading (also one of the sucky jobs a paralegal does). This week I sold that story to Beachwalk Press, plus I wrote another inbetween that I'm currently editing.

    My point, if WOD works for you, then do it! There's nothing better than a kick up the butt to get the words down. I have lovely CP's who kick my ass into gear, and Amalie's posts are inspirational! :o)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information on Write or Die. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete