Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Writing Nightmare

At least that's the way I used to think of it. I am so bad about jumping from one project to another one before I can wrap up my story. I have  four novels I've started. The first one I started five years ago. It is completed, but there is something wrong with it. I love the story, but I can't do anything with it because I know there is an issue.

I broke down and hired a professional editor to look over the first three chapters. There were a lot of comments, but the main ones came down to it being confusing and not enough conflict.

What am I going to do about it? Toss it in the trash and move on? No, I love the story.

Five years ago, I wanted to be a writer. I had no clue how to write a book, but I opened a word file and began typing. I had no idea how to plot. I had no idea about conflict or motivation. If someone said POV, I was lost.

That's about the time I discovered online classes. Wow!

I've rewritten the story a dozen times. Each time I add something  I learned in all the wonderful writing classes. I put what I thought was motivation and conflict.

The hero is a werewolf. The heroine is a werewolf hunter. Yeah, this is the story that is confusing and has no conflict.

There is a reason I have four novels started. I get to a point that is hard, and I jump ship, only to climb onto another boat that has a different problem.

I'm going back to my original novel. I opened up a new file. I no longer use Word, but Scrivener, but the process is the same. I'm starting with a blank page and rewriting the story.

Why am I blogging about my apparent failure to write a readable book? I am a writer. I may not be Stephen King, or Nora Roberts, or JK Rowling. But I am me, and I will write a book I am proud to say I wrote. My journey may take longer than others, but I am determined to do what I want to do. Write

Look for my novel, to be completed by years end. My deadline, December 31. Ya' know what? I changed my mind.

In my house we joke about me not having a birthday this year. My birthday is December 22. The day after some believe the world will come to an end. It won't come to an end. I will turn 45 this year, and life will continue.

But just in case. I want to finish this story before the Apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment